Webcam and Linux

Hello all,

Have finally got my Quickcam webcam to work under Linux, and want to capture video from it - not images, but video. The only software that I could find that would capture video was xawtv - is there any other?

My problem with xawtv is that I can start it with 'xawtv -c "/dev/video0"' and it shows the image from the webcam fine, I get it to start capturing, and when I press "Stop" it crashes. With the quicktime plugin, and save as .mov, I get this:

desire:/home/piers/temp2# xawtv -c "/dev/video0"
This is xawtv-3.93, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.27-pk-20040820)
/dev/video0 [v4l]: no overlay support
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
rate: queueing frame twice (18)
v4l: waiting for a free buffer
rate: queueing frame twice (18)
<snip>
rate: queueing frame twice (6)
Segmentation fault
desire:/home/piers/temp2#

and when I do a "file" on the resulting file, I get:

piers@desire:~/temp2$ file test
test: Apple QuickTime movie file (mdat)
piers@desire:~/temp2

and when I try to play it back using Mplayer, I get:

Playing test
QuickTime/MOV file format detected.
--------------
MOV track #0: 60 chunks, 60 samples
Image size: 352 x 264 (24 bpp)
Display size: 352 x 264
Fourcc: raw   Codec: 'Quicktime for Linux'
--------------
MOV: longest streams: A: #-1 (0 samples)  V: #0 (60 samples)
vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
Disabling DPMS
Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
VDec: vo config request - 352 x 264 (preferred csp: Unknown)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed :(

and it repeats for a while and then gives up

*** Try to upgrade /home/piers/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
*** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x20776172.

Trying this with AVI files is the same, tho I get... hmm seems to work fine, though a 5 second clip is around 30mb. Converting it to a smaller format using transcode gives a strange output, green, upsidedown and stuff.

Any ideas of how I can capture video from my webcam and output as quicktime?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Cheers - Piers