Re: raid 5 on boot? root?

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:00:26PM -0600, Justin Guerin wrote:
> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:00:26 -0600
> From: Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: raid 5 on boot? root?
>
> On Tuesday 17 August 2004 11:13, Richard Weil wrote:
> > I don't know if my configuration is (a) setup badly, or (b) impossible.
> > Before I spend too much more time on it, I wonder if anyone has
> > relevant experience.
> >
> > Is it possible to have both boot and root on RAID 5? I'm getting a
> > kernel panic mid-way through boot. Assuming it's not possible, what
> > about if boot is on a normal drive and root is on RAID 5?
> >
> > I'm running up-to-date Sarge with kernel 2.6.7. I'm using the stock
> > Debian kernel and the Grub boot loader.

> It is possible to have both root and boot on a raid partition.  I've done it
> with raid1.  I can't imagine raid5 would be any different.
  IMHO it is impossible to boot from software raid5 array just because it
depends on your loader, whether or not it understands RAID5. AFAIK it
doesn't understand any of RAIDs, but with RAID1 you have 2 identical
drives, so you may install loader on both of them to have rendundancy.
But I think it is possible to have /boot on RAID1 and make an initrd image
which correctly initialize root on RAID5. Personally I'd preffer to have
root on RAID1 just for possibility to access my root with any rescue CD
without any RAID.