Re: USE THREADS, DAMMIT! Re: No list mail

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:27:56 -0400
Brian Pack <afcpack@verizon.net> wrote:

> Ok... so it looks like going through the web archive is working, but who
> the hell knows if anybody is going to read it.
>
> So rather than helping to fix the problem, some have chosen to killfile
> the topic.

Stuff like this drives me nuts.  This is a mailing list of users.
debian-*user*.  Not developers.  Not listmasters.  Users.  You have
a legitimate problem -- you're not getting list mail.  Other people
here have confirmed the problem by saying that they, too, are not
getting mail; and they're on a variety of ISPs.  So it sounds like
it's a problem with the list.  The listmasters administer the list.
So it sounds like the listmasters are the people to try and sort
this out.

Maybe you've tried contacting the listmasters and they've been
unresponsive or unhelpful.  Fine.  But what, exactly, do you expect
me to do to "help fix the problem"?  I'm a *user*.  I'm not the
listmaster.  Occasionally, somebody posts about a problem here that
I know something about, and can help with.  Meanwhile, I ignore
problem threads in which I can't contribute anything to help fix the
problem.  Since I don't administer the list, I don't have anything
to contribute to solving your problem.  So *of course* I ignore the
posts.  And when the posts keep on coming, *of course* I killfile
the topic.  And when people make it hard to do that, *of course* I
get annoyed.

> Mr. Metzler may not see this. Suits me fine. If anyone else cares to
> tell him, let him know that he is personally responsible for driving
> users away from Debian.

Oh brother.

>From now on, I'll be sure to stop ignoring threads that I can't say
anything useful about, out of fear of driving people away.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)