Re: problems mounting nfs with pcmcia

On Monday 16 August 2004 17:43, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> I'm setting up a Debian Linux system at a friend's house.  He has Debian
> Woody (with backports) on the server, and Debian Sarge on the client.
>
> The client has a pcmcia card for networking.  I'm trying to set up so
> that the nfs shares are mounted automatically when he boots up, but it
> doesn't happen.
>
> I put this in his fstab:
> 192.168.1.1:/data/share /net/share nfs    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,_netdev
> 0     0
>
> But the system won't mount it at boot up (no problem mounting it manually
> after logging in as a user, using mount -a -t nfs).
>
> I then figured it might be something with being pcmcia, so I added the
> mount point to /etc/pcmcia/network.opts MOUNTS="/net/share".  That
> didn't work either.
>
> I checked the logs and it seems the problem is, the system in both cases
> tries to mount the nfs filesystems before the network is fully up.
>
> I tried to move the mountnfs.sh /etc/init.d script to a much later stage
> (from S45 to S70), but it didn't help.  Does anyone have any idea what I
> can do next?  I have nfs filesystems mounted on my own system without
> problems, so I'm not sure what his problem is.
>
> We both run the same software both places (dhcp3 on server and client).

I'm guessing when you moved your init script from S45 to S70, the error
message was the same.  If there was no reason that you chose 70, you could
always move mountnfs.sh back further and see if that works.  If it still
doesn't work at S99, then you could always add a call to the shell script
from the end of the networking script, then remove the backgrounding, if
present.  You might have to add a delay to the start of the mountnfs.sh
script, or you could use the builtin wait function when calling the network
startup scripts.

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin