debian rebooting..

I downloaded the netinstall cd off this url

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ports-status

The machine its being installed on is a Supermicro p4sca machine. The install went smoothly enough but after that things get complicated. After booting up I get asked my standard post confiurations questions. As I answer then - the machine reboots(feels almost like a power cycle - screen goes black, you hear a beep).. Thinking this was a fluke I rebooted - began entering my info, timezone, user info - etc.. And the machine reboots agian. The third time I just let it reboot and did nothing. Still the machine reboots after about 20 to 30 seconds.

I re-burned the cd, re-installed - deleteing the partition table- still same result - a spontanious reboot during post install setup.. This machine had been a perfectly happy RH9 box before but decided to switch to Sarge...

After looking around I found this bug report

After upgrading the bios and dinkering w/ some bios settings - relating to RAID and SATA I re-installed. Same problem.... I tried combine mode, sata only, enhanced mode.... no dice.

I've also tried the net install image listed here

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/i386/20040816/

After downloading this image the machine doesn't even recognise the cd as a bootable cd. Toss in a RH9 or Fedora cd and away it goes.

Interestingly the machine will boot just fine into recovery mode.. If I boot into recovery mode, then type

'init 3'

the machine reboots shortly their after. Anyone using a Supermicro box run into this problem or have any luck getting around this?

P.S. As a last ditch effort I tried the bizcard install aswell - still same result.

--
Rock River Internet                          Roger Grunkemeyer
202 W. State St, 8th Floor                grunky@rockriver.net