Re: Firewall packages (was: All these open ports)

>> There are other available packages:
>> I use FireHOL
>
>I used to use iptables + wondershaper in RH. I notice there are many
>ready-made firewall packages available in Debian. I'm wondering which one
>is recommended (ease to use/updated frequently, etc)?

So am I, but I don't think this is the right place to ask.
It seems like most people here just hack "iptables" directly.

There's also a Debian "firewall" mailing list, but I posted
something there and got no replies, so I'm not sure it's used
very much.

If you do a web search for "debian firewall" you'll probably find
any number of other sites with firewall related forums where you
can ask that question (I think there's one on the "sourceforge" site).

I just loaded Firestarter because it seemed to be "trendy firewall
of the week", so maybe I'd be able to get support for it.  But I could
be wrong about both of those things...  In any case, it doesn't provide
all the functionality I want, and I expect to have to hack its
"iptables" infrastructure (actually, being able to get at the iptables
commands it uses as a foundation is a plus).

Thus far, I haven't been able to find anything that provides
canned-up functionality of the nature of the Windows "Zone Alarm",
although I can probably overcome that by iptables scripting,
whereas with the Windows firewalls you get whatever is there
and have to live with it.