Re: Firewall packages (was: All these open ports)

listcomm@ml1.net wrote:
> Thus far, I haven't been able to find anything that provides
> canned-up functionality of the nature of the Windows "Zone Alarm",
> although I can probably overcome that by iptables scripting,
> whereas with the Windows firewalls you get whatever is there
> and have to live with it.

You could get something close to Zone Alarm (minus the application
permissions stuff) with a very short iptables script which set the
policies for INPUT and FORWARD to DROP, and OUTPUT to ACCEPT, and adding
a couple of rules for allowing related and established connections on
the INPUT chain.  I'm sure there are basic HOWTOs on this floating
around - google for something like "iptables introduction" and you
should find some good hits.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>