Re: Kernel rebuild problems

> As far as I can tell, the problem is that the new kernel cannot mount
> the root filesystem and I have no idea why, as it is ext3 and ext3 is
> built into the kernel.

Are you sure? I mean are you sure it's in the kernal *and* not a module?

The symptoms you describe would indicate it is in but only as a module,
and that either because the initrd directive is missing from the GRUB
config, or because you didn't use the '--initrd' option to make-kpkg,
the EXT3 module is not being loaded out of the initial ram disk image.

Can you verify by installing (but obviously not attempting to boot)
the new kernel and running:

	grep EXT3 /boot/config*

and posting the results? It should say:

	CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y

If it says 'm' then you need to access initrd, and you need to make
sure that the initrd contains the ext3 module. If it says 'n' then
not even that will help you.

Alexis