Kernel rebuild problems

THis is a bit long, but if anyone has insight into buildling 2.6.x
kernels maybe they can help before I pull out all of my hair.

I installed sarge on my Averatec 3220 (AMD-2000 CPU, 256MB) using the
latest version of the installer (this would be about six weeks ago).

Everything is fine, except the wireless (builtin Broadcom, needing
ndiswrapper).

Now, I've also installed kernel-2.6.7-k7 package and the 2.6.7
source. The kernel is fine and works a treat, but

I am unable to build my own kernel which will boot. (I've been
recompiling kernels since about 1995 so...)

As far as I can tell, the problem is that the new kernel cannot mount
the root filesystem and I have no idea why, as it is ext3 and ext3 is
built into the kernel.

The significant difference in the logs is that the 2.6.6-1.k7 kernel
package had an initrd with it and the newly-built kernel doesn't.

I'm using grub BTW and the initrd line appears to  be the only
significant difference between the working and non-working menu items.

If anyone can shed any light at all on this I'd be very grateful.

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |