Re: 'umask' and mounting of vfat filesystem.

Hello

Daniel M. (<xt@nm.ru>) wrote:

> [umask is not set properly for some files on FAT fs]
>
> Here is a list of umask's values and permissions those files are
> actually getting ('correct' means that they are getting the same
> permissions as all the other files):
>
> umask=0000: -r-xr-xr-x
> umask=0111: -r--r--r--
> umask=0222: correct
> umask=0333: correct
> umask=0444: ---x--x--x
> umask=0555: ----------
> umask=0666: correct
> umask=0777: correct
>
> Why those (and many other) files are different and don't get the
> correct permissions specified by 'umask' option?

I didn't see it yesterday, but it seems that is is always the write bit
that does not get set properly. The umask values that work are only
those that do /not/ allow writing to all files.

Is it possible that the files have been marked "read-only" in Windows
and that mount respects that setting?

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270