'umask' and mounting of vfat filesystem.

Hello everybody,

According to the man page for 'mount', 'umask=value' is used as follows:

"umask=value
              Set  the  umask  (the  bitmask  of  the permissions that are not
	      present). The default is the umask of the current process.   The
	      value is given in octal."

But somehow I don't succeed in getting that behavior. For example,
if I set 'umask=0000', I am supposed to get '-rwxrwxrwx' permissions.
But some files/directories have '-r-xr-xr-x' permissions (for example,
in the root directory of vfat's filesystem those files are: msdos.sys,
ntdetect.com, ntldr, io.sys, 'Program Files'. There are other (non-system)
files, deeper in the directory structure, which also get those incorrect
permissions).

Here is a list of umask's values and permissions those files are actually
getting ('correct' means that they are getting the same permissions as all
the other files):

umask=0000: -r-xr-xr-x
umask=0111: -r--r--r--
umask=0222: correct
umask=0333: correct
umask=0444: ---x--x--x
umask=0555: ----------
umask=0666: correct
umask=0777: correct

Why those (and many other) files are different and don't get the correct
permissions specified by 'umask' option?

Another question: my shell process's file creation mask is '0022',
which means that if 'umask' option is not used in 'mount' command
when mounting vfat filesystem, the default permissions would be
'-rwxr-xr-x'. But the actual permissions I get are: '-rwxr--r--'
(the files mentioned above once again get different permissions:
'-r-xr--r--'). Why is that so?

Daniel.