Re: Help requested: DMA, Seagate ST340014A, Kernel 2.4

Lo, on Monday, August 16, Rthoreau did write:

> > Date: Yesterday 14:49:47
>
> > Lo, on Sunday, August 15, Richard Cobbe did write:
>
> >> The computer did come with a PCI IDE controller card (the "unknown mass
> >> storage controller" line above) that has another two controllers on it.
> >> I haven't yet tried switching controllers to see if that helps at all; I
> >> may attempt that later this afternoon.
>
> > Well, that didn't work.  Moving it to the other controller should make
> > the hard drive visible as /dev/hde, but the kernel couldn't find the
> > root device, even when I specified `root=/dev/hde2' on the Lilo command
> > line.  The odd thing is, I've switched hard drives to this controller
> > before, back when I was having strange trouble with the previous drive
> > and trying to diagnose it.  I don't remember exactly what incantation I
> > had to mumble in order to get the kernel to find the partition, though,
> > so I can't repeat the process.
>
> > Does anyone else have any suggestions?
>
> > Richard

So I installed the latest 2.4 kernel image out of stable
(kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k7).  I'm not sure this is an improvement,
although we'll see.

> Your lspci listing should not contain any unknown devices, for example below
> is my listing for my MP 2460.

Still getting unknown devices in lspci; the output is the same as
up-thread.

Further, when I ran
    /sbin/hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hda
I got a slightly-updated version of a standard error/warning message:
    ide0: unexpected interrupt, status=0x58, count=1
although things *appear* to be working fine for now.  I'd still be a lot
happier if I weren't getting that warning, though.

However, and I don't know if this is related, the kernel image only
supports a single processor; stable doesn't appear to have an
SMP-enabled kernel prebuilt.  As soon as the soruce installs, I'm going
to rebuild it for SMP without making any other changes, just to see what
happens.

So, in short, better but not good.

Richard