Dead Gnome MIME settings

My Gnome MIME settings appear to have suddenly died. If I go into
Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and
programs the only category I see is Internet Services. When I try to do
things on the desktop, I get "no action associated with" errors. I've
tried reinstalling libgnomevfs2-0 as well as gnome-mime-data to no
avail. Looking in ~/.xsession-errors after launching 'File types and
programs' I see the following:

(gnome-file-types-properties:3273): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated
function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer
supported.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this further?

A probably related item of note here is that I recently had to restore
my /etc and /home directories from a backup. I did a "cp -a" so
permissions, etc, should all have been preserved, but it's possible that
something got fouled up at some point. Unfortunately, aside from the
things I mentioned above, I don't know what else to troubleshoot. (As
much as I love Gnome some of the more obscure files and settings that it
uses make me think back to my days of suffering in Windows.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837