Re: Quick question: Choice of release

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:33, Anders Breindahl wrote:
> I and a friend are playing with the idea of convincing our gymnasium to
> using Debian GNU/Linux as their main server OS.
>
> As it comes to this issue, which release we would want; stable, testing or
> unstable?
>
> Making the choice, it would matter that the focus is on reliability. We
> would want it to be absolutely reliable and secure. No security flaws would
> be accepted. On the other hand, we wouldn't want it to be outdated, so any
> performance-fixes are not included. What is the best compromise?

Hi,

I would recommend waiting until the next Debian release. This is
currently scheduled to happen on Sept 19th, though deadlines are rather
flexible in Debian. You can then go with that "stable" release.

If you want to get started now, you can install "Sarge". Sarge is
currently in testing. Sarge will become "stable" at the september
release date. It's currently pretty good, perfectly fine for doing the
setup work. And after the release date, a simple "apt-get dist-upgrade"
command will ensure everything gets upgraded to the official release
versions.

See "http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer"; for Sarge
installation info.

You *could* install the current stable version, then after the next
release upgrade to the new stable version. But I wouldn't recommend it,
because the upgrade will want to install *huge* amounts of updates. And
in addition, the new installer is much easier to use than the old one.

Regards,

Simon