Re: bible-kjv_4.15 make & installation errors in gentoo linux

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 09:50:59AM -0700, Ray Foster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The readme.linux instructions are (after unpacking) to make which gives
> these errors:
> /lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to tgetnum, tgoto, tgetflag,
> BC, tputs, PC, tgetent, UP, tgetstr and it exits with error 1 and error2.
> When I "make install" I get three errors:
> cp cannot stat bible
> chown, chgrp, chmod - "cannot access /usr/bin/bible"
> install error 1.
>
> The readme file tells at the bottom that the writer had to change some
> destinations in the Makefile to get it to work.  What do you change to
> what?  I have looked at the Makefile and am no wiser for the look.

What are you trying to do? Install a source package from Debian on
Gentoo?

The make install error is because the make didn't work. The make
probably didn't work because you have the wrong versions of libraries
installed compared to what the package expects. The correct versions
should be in the .dsc file if not elsewhere in the documentation,
listed as Build-Depends.

I presume you've just untarred the tarball from the Debian source
package rather than trying to apply Debian patches, which latter is
probably going to break on a non-Debian system.

Don't forget that:
1) Abbreviated/summarised/partial error messages are not very useful
2) This is a Debian list, we don't in general know about
Gentoo-specific stuff.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons