Re: problem installing Sendmail

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:07:43 +0800 Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> Here is my "sendmail.mc"
> Is there any thing wrong?

> LOCAL_CONFIG
> FEATURE(`nullclient', NONE)dnl
>
> LOCAL_CONFIG
> ## Custom configurations below (will be preserved)

This appears to be the configuration for local mail only. No wonder
you couldn't send mail to the internet...

Perhaps the best option would be to reconfigure sendmail from scratch.
By looking at the scripts, it seems you can do that with the commands
(as root):

   rm -f /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
   sendmailconfig

and answer very carefully the questions that will appear, especially
the one concerning the smarthost, which should be the hostname of
your SMTP server, which will route mail to the outside world.

If you expect to receive answers you will then have to configure it
to rewrite the sender address with a publicly valid one, but that's
another story.

> | It may be the case that you have to get information from the
> | network admin in order to get your sendmail to route mail properly
> | for your network environment.
>
> Sorry...I know it's stupid but...can you explain more?

Well, if you're on a LAN, maybe one of the computers is already
configured as a mail server that should be used as smarthost, and
possibly handling the local address rewrites I mentioned.

HTH,

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/