Re: problem installing Sendmail

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:15:35 +0800 Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:

Please try and supply the most information possible. After
reading your mail I still haven't a clue where you're coming from.

> I installed a Sendmail to my Debian with "apt-get install"
> After a little bit setup (may be sth. went wrong here), I tried to

The sendmail package asks you a few questions upon installation, so
as to configure it properly for your machine. Don't you remember
answering them? You really should take software installation a lot
less lightly...

> send mail with mutt. It failed with a message with "Host Unknown (Name
> server: none: host not found)".

The "Name server" bit seems to indicate a hostname/ip resolving problem.
Can you browse the web from that machine?
Did you have an MTA previously, and could you send mail then?
Can you ping outside hosts?

> My Debian is connected to a LAN with a NAT router. I don't know it too
> well.
> And I don't know how to config Sendmail in Debian, too.

It may be the case that you have to get information from the
network admin in order to get your sendmail to route mail properly
for your network environment.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/