Re: apt-get upgrade doesn't honor my rebuilded packages

Tong wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:23:05 +0200, Koos Vriezen wrote:

CVS, I needed to recompile some c++ dependent packages like fam.
Now if I do 'apt-get -s upgrade', I get
so it wants to replace it again what I just build. How can I prevent this?
What's puzzling me most is that this seems so a common thing to do, jet
I can't find this issue in the apt-howto document.

FYI, I used to get this same problem while compiling sources in RH. I just circumvented it by increasing the version number a bit, e.g.,
Current version of emacs is:
emacs21_21.3+1-5

I'll make it emacs21_21.3+1-5.1 which was done easily with a script.
I can't tell you how to do it in debian yet, because I'm new to Debian,
and haven't been able to compile emacs (without modification) yet.

The easiest way is to do 'dch -i <comment>'/'dch -v <new-version> <comment>' from the source directory[ie the directory that contains a debian subdirectory]. dch is from package devscripts. Alternatively, the package tools don't seem to mind if you just fudge the newest entry in debian/changelog's version up a little bit with any text editor.