Re: Can not boot

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:50:10PM +0700, Endianto wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> My new Woody box can't boot with this error message,

"new"... has it worked before? If so, what has changed between then and
now?

> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01

This indicates that it cannot find partition 1 on the primary disk on
IDE channel 0...

There should be some output *above* that - you'll need to peruse through
that to narrow down the problem:

-  Does the kernel detect the IDE interface?  If not, then make sure
   that IDE is compiled into the kernel (or initrd module).
-  Does the kernel detect the disk? If not, check cabling, BIOS
   settings and the way the disk is jumpered...

> As a friend suggestion, I boot from CDROM, using CD live Knoppix, then put
> "root=/dev/hda1".
> Nothings change.

I suspect that knoppix *does* have IDE built into the kernel. Thus the
problem is probably either cabling, bios settings and/or HD jumper
settings...

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jørgensen