Re: Configuration DB

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:43:04AM +1000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Once upon a time Jason Rennie said...
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:09:08AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > > The debconf database is nothing more than a temporary cache of answers
> > > gotten from the user.  Debconf will regenerate this data by asking any
> > > questions it needs to.
> >
> > If the Debian designers had this attitude, everything would go into
> > /var/cache:
> >
> >   What, you want to run oowriter?  Oops, just deleted that from my
> >   cache.  Downloading openoffice.org-bin.deb from www.debian.org.
> >   Please wait.
>
> Worse than that. All configuration files could be stored in /var/cache
> with this logic, since vi can just regenerate this data by getting you to
> type it in again.
>
> As I see it, if debconf is asking you the questions again, *it* is not
> regenerating the data, but *you* are.

I've looked at the contents of /var/cache/debconf on my machine. I
can't make out what it really contains. It certainly doesn't seem to
contain the answers that I gave to configuration questions during
package installation.

As I said in a earlier post, if you are concerned that it *does* contain
information that should be checkpointed, you can move it to /etc and
either put a softlink in /var/cache, or edit /etc/debconf.conf to point
to its new location within /etc

Someone who mistrusts the design of debconf might try renaming
/var/cache/debconf to /var/cache/hide.debconf and see what happens.
Is a new /var/cache/debconf created automatically? Or do you have to
rename /var/cache/hide.debconf back to its original name to get this
working again?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net