Re: Linux help system (Was: -=> Re: I hate it when that happens...)

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:04:07AM -0700, listcomm@ml1.net wrote:

> > It's built in in - at least in bash ;)
>
> Not only that, but (correct me if I'm wrong - that's why I'm
> posting this) it appears that the docs for some things are
> split into docs that appear in HTML in /usr/share/docs, and
> docs that appear via the "help" command (the data for which
> is stored somewhere where I haven't found it yet, although
> I haven't really looked...).

The 'help' command is ONLY for bash internal commands, like set.
It's stored in the bash source code.

$ apt-get source bash
$ cd bash-2.05a/builtins
$ # the set docs are in set.def (as well as the set source code)

For non-bash shells, try something like man tcsh.