Re: 3ware woes

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:38:49 +0100
Stephen Tait <tait@digitallaw.co.uk> wrote:

> Gah, hate replying to myself, but there you go.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I compile the 3w-9xxx source for 2.4.19?
>
> I've gotten the 2.4 source tarball from 3ware's website, which
> includes the following files:
>
> pika@zaphod:~/3w-9xxx/driver$ ls
> 3w-9xxx.c  3w-9xxx.h  3w-9xxx_fw.h  Makefile.oth  Makefile.rh
>
> So, the usual .c and .h plus what I presume to be the firmware, plus
> two makefiles; one for Redhat, and one for everything else...? Perhaps
> unsurprisngly, there's no documentation anywhere I can find, and being
> the kind of person who's never done this before (unless you count the
> ivtv module, which actually has a working makefile), I'm a bit lost.

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried the following:

cp Makefile.oth Makefile
make

Most of the commercial drivers I've worked with don't require a
configure or anything; they just make assumptions and expect you to have
everything in place. If all their assumptions are valid for your system,
then make works.

Also, you might take a look at their drivers for the 2.6 kernel. I
noticed there's a Readme.txt file in that tarball. It has 2.6 specific
instructions, so it wouldn't work verbatim for 2.4, but if you translate
a couple of things you might be able to get somewhere.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #37:
Are you tired of being a crash test dummy for Microsoft? Discover Linux.