Re: installing ndiswrapper module for 2.6.7-1-686

Brian Samek wrote:

> It appears that I must rebuild my kernel.  However, before I do this, I'd
> like to know if there are any other options.
> 1. What is the 2.6.7-1-686 header files package for?
> 2. Is there a way I can get the source for the 2.6.7-1-686?
> 3. Is there a way to compile ndiswrapper for my current kernel despite not
> having access to the source?
>
> Thanks

I had the same problem. I saw a couple of references online which seemed to
indicate that the headers file (i.e. kernel-headers-2.6.7-1-686) *should*
be enough to build the module, but I never had any luck. Perhaps my
symlinks weren't quite right? In any case, I finally gave up and used
kernel-package to roll a new kernel and modules_image.

So there probably should be a way to avoid rebuilding. But in my case at
least, it ended up taking a good deal less time to just rebuild than to
figure out what that way might be. (You could probably just copy the
config-2.6.7-1-686 from /boot and do an oldconfig if you don't feel like
changing anything.)

Best,
Jesse