Problems with mouse responsiveness

I have a PS/2 optical mouse with 3 buttons the 3rd also being the roller-wheel. It is currently configured as below:

/dev/psaux
imps/2
Disabled: Enable 3 button mouse
Disabled: Enable scroll events from mouse wheel

The mouse works in all respects, except that it is non-responsive when the mouse is moved slowly. If I move the mouse across my deck slowly there is no response, once I start to increase the speed the cursor moves as you would except. I have played around with the sensitivity etc with no solution.

As you can Imagen, when doing delicate work with a mouse like this, it would drive anyone MAD!

BD