Mouse stopped working

My mouse stopped working earlier today.  It will work if I boot into Win2K or
if I boot up using the Knoppix CDROM, but not with my recent  (week ago)
install of Testing/Sarge with kernel 2.6.7.  It had been working fine without
any problem for the past week until today when I had to reboot from Debian to
run Win2k for a short while then reboot back into Debian.

My XF86Config-4 file has not been changed.  I have, in the good Linux/Debian
tradition been trying all sorts of things on my system in the learning
process.  Other than doing the apt-get dist-upgrade earlier today, cannot
remember anything I did today that might affect the mouse operation.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
RAM: 1 GB
CPU: Intel P4 - 2.8C
Mouse: wheelmouse on /dev/psaux

Can anyone point me to anything else I should look for?  Dmesg does not reveal
anything that I can see outstanding.  The mouse cursor just sits in the
center of the screen (KDE), frozen.  Everything else appears to be working OK
from what I can tell without the use of the mouse; have Apache2 server
running on local area network OK, screensaver kicks in eventually.  As I
said, I've tried rebooting multiple times with this Debian Linux, with Win2K,
and with Knoppix this afternoon, with only the mouse in Debian Linux NOT
working.

Your help appreciated...

Don
(on a 2nd computer running 2.4.26)