Re: Building two servers

John Summerfield wrote:

NO NO NO NO
"Certified to work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux" does not mean it depends on RHEL.

Ja, I know :) It tells you that chances to run Linux on that hardware are pretty good, but you can´t be sure.

For example, I´ve seen a SCSI raid controller supporting Red Hat and Suse. It came with its own driver, but the driver required a certain kernel version and thereby certain versions of the Red Hat/Suse distribution. Unless the vendor would have provided another driver, you won´t have been able to use recent software versions. Such a controller is just a thing to avoid.

A lot of big purchasers, like you, want to know that the hardware will work with the sofware. Certification costs money which Debian doesn't have.

But the hardware vendors do --- and it´s in their interest beeing able to tell wheather their hardware can run Debian or not ...

mentioned there. So how am I supposed to find out if a particular board will be usable?

Ask the vendor. If the answer is unsatsifactory, seek other products.

I surely will --- I detailed a possible configuration yesterday and can now begin to ask the vendors. Besides, I always like to hear what users say ,for that often sounds much different from what vendors promised.

At worst, building a Debian kernel from RHEL source is not the end ofthe world, and the source is reaidily available to you.

Hmmm, sounds like a good idea, if the need arises :)

GH
--
for i in "*.txt"; do mail -s $i hwilmer < $i; done
su: $i: ambiguous redirect