Re: Building two servers

John Summerfield wrote:

Which kind of processors can you recommend, AMD (Opteron?) or some Intel?

_I_ would go for Opteron. If you are interested in a mainstream vendor, IBM, Sun and even HP have Opteron systems, and all support Linux.

THX, so I´ll find out more about the Opteron first. The problem with vendors is that they claim to support Red Hat, Suse and maybe some other commercial Linux distribution, but usually not Debian.

As you never know exactly what hardware you´ll get from those vendors, I do see chances for trouble with hardware supported only with other distributions than Debian. I don´t know Red Hat, but I know Suse for making changes to the standard kernels (and other software) that will lead to incompatibilities sooner or later. That´s one of the good reasons to use Debian, which provides much better compatibility ...

You could also check Apple - at least one US vendor can ship Apple kit sans OSX, and if you want a 64-bit OS on your Mac today, the choice is "Which Linux?"

Debian :) It´s just that I know Debian the best, as I´ve Debian at home, introduced it here at work, and it works very well. From my experience with Suse, I do not trust them, neither Red Hat, to be as trouble-free as Debian is.

GH
--
for i in "*.txt"; do mail -s $i hwilmer < $i; done
su: $i: ambiguous redirect