smtp exim4

I installed debian sarge, exim4, and qpopper recently, everything was
great, as long as I login at the server mail works fine.  However as
soon as I try to use a mail client from another machine, it doesn't
work. It seems the server is not allowing smtp connections (or pop
connections I guess though I've been focusing on smpt right now).  I'm
not using tls or anything fancy, just trying to get the client to
connect to do inhouse email.  Really simple...right?

I've poured over docs, googled my heart out, looked at /etc/services
and inetd.conf, did a lot of trial and error, and have been looking at
any related log in /var, to no avail.

If someone could at least point me in the right direction, i.e. how to
enable smtp connections, what logs to focus on (exim's seem to be way
to terse to be useful - maybe I can increase the logging level?), etc.

thanks,
John