Re: smtp exim4

psye@brandeis.edu (John Thomas Langton) wrote in message news:<2rNBB-4AU-69@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> I installed debian sarge, exim4, and qpopper recently, everything was
> great, as long as I login at the server mail works fine.  However as
> soon as I try to use a mail client from another machine, it doesn't
> work. It seems the server is not allowing smtp connections (or pop
> connections I guess though I've been focusing on smpt right now).  I'm
> not using tls or anything fancy, just trying to get the client to
> connect to do inhouse email.  Really simple...right?
>
> I've poured over docs, googled my heart out, looked at /etc/services
> and inetd.conf, did a lot of trial and error, and have been looking at
> any related log in /var, to no avail.
>
> If someone could at least point me in the right direction, i.e. how to
> enable smtp connections, what logs to focus on (exim's seem to be way
> to terse to be useful - maybe I can increase the logging level?), etc.
>
> thanks,
> John

I realized that I was flying through the exim4-config too fast to
realize a default had changed from previous versions (or maybe I just
forgot).  Doing
dpkg--reconfigure exim4-config  I saw the setting for listening for
smtp connections, and the default is 127.0.0.1 (or localhost).  You
can set that
to blank and it will listen for smtp connections on all public
interfaces, which is what I needed to do.  Now smtp connections work
fine.

Another setting is that to relay mail for machines on your lan so they
can go out through your exim4 and out to the realworld (i.e. you're
using a smarthost setup), then you need to set it up so you're
relaying for local machines...i.e.
192.168.1.0/24  in the setting when asked for what local machines
you're relaying for.

Sorry if this is vague but should be a good pointer for newbies, or
people like me who went too fast!

John