Re: Making ifup or pump work at startup

* bob parker <bposs@dodo.com.au> [2004 Aug 10 10:48 -0500]:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:52, John Graves wrote:
> > I have installed the Debian Sarge Distro.   After some adventure, I am
> > able to create a network connection.  However several oddities occur.
> >
> > 1.  ifup (or ifup eth0) doesn't work at all.
> >
> > 2.  Pump when called the first time, says it can't start and that there
> > may be another instance of pump running.  But when I check with
> > ifconfig, I now have eth0 up and running with an ip address.

What does the command 'ps ax | grep "pump"' return after the system
starts?  Does /etc/init.d/networking exist?

> Check your /etc/network/interfaces, here's a bit of mine.
> auto lo eth0 eth1
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

I use this line with pump on my machines as well.  No problems here
with Sarge (Testing).

If using a PCMCIA network card, then you will probably want to modify
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts and not start your ethernet via
/etc/network/interfaces rather letting pcmcia-cs handle it.

http://packages.debian.org/pump/

> > Is this normal? Also, what do I have to do have pump start at boot so I
> > don't have to manually  start it.  And is the message I get normal or is
> > there something I am doing or not doing that is causing this message?

No, it's not normal.  Things should work so long as
/etc/network/interfaces is written correctly, but with pump it is quite
simple.  Note that dhcp keyword on the iface line is the same no
matter which DHCP client is used.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of