Getting up and running

Hello all,
So that you understand where I'm coming from, here is a rundown on what I'm trying to do. First of all I am a retired machinist. I have invented a couple of products that I would like to manufacture in my home workshop and sell on line.I plan to make these products on machines that I am presently building. They will be cnc machines run off of a PC. I don't consider Ms Windows stable enough to be used for that purpose. That leaves real time Linux or dos. It makes no sense to use dos as it seems a dead end street as far as improvement is concerned. I have not used dos so, I would have to learn it and would much rather spend my time learning Linux. At the present time, I am getting patents, designing my product and building machines to manufacture on, at the same time trying to set up and run Linux. Keep in mind I am 70 years old so learning comes much slower these days. I have installed Debian 3.0r2 ,and have been struggling on a now and then basis to get it up and running. I don't have enough time to devote to learn how to configure and get everything operating so that I can install Qcad and a CAM program and start working entirely in Linux. I really don't want to have to use Windows. I have seen machines running on Windows, repeatedly for no apparent reason, take off and slam into fixtures or tables doing great damage and wasting hours or even days of set up time. !. My questions are, would Fedora or some other program, after installed, be more operational than Debian leaving me less to learn in order to start to work? 2. Would some one with lots of patience be willing to take me under their wing on a one on one basis and help me get up and running. Know this, I'm not exactly dumb in all areas but for example I have been using Windows about 5 years and have not touched Dos so my computer knowledge is really shallow. Any advise or help will be greatly appreciated, Doug