Re: net protection - firewalls

Matt Johnson wrote:

Now, despite your firewall, there's traffic that
comes right through it _at your invitation,_ no less! Consider www requests such as that 26 Mbyte SP2 for XP. Email.

Those can do bad things too, and that's where
content filters such as spamassassin (email), MimeDefang (email), Squidguard, DansGuardian and your AV software come in.

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a
comprehensive answer.

Fifty bucks please:-)

Yes, well... check's in the post (!) ;)

Oh good.

For an encore, see this:
http://linuxgazette.net/105/odonovan.html

Understand it before acting on it, and take salt with item 4. If you don't know what you're doing you will stuff things up. I went to a LUG meeting once where one of the Gods of iiNet was to speak on Linux security. He was a little hoarse so someone else stepped in. Between them they enumerated lots of binaries that "don't need to be setuid root."

I took the advice and borked several things including my ability to print.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait