net protection - firewalls

Hi all,

Two comments in recent threads have prompted me to ask
this...

Firstly, someone mentioned that ipmasq isn't a
firewall, but is a good starting point.

And secondly, there's been talk of people receiving
attempts to crack their machines, which I guess must
be happening to me too.

Ok. I installed ipmasq on my linux 'gateway' for
NATing (I think that's correct?) my linux and windows
home machines that sit behind it. It's been running
for about 3 months. I don't have any firewalls on the
machine behind the gateway, so the gateway is the only
security. I've left ipmasq as it comes out of the box
and it all seems to work fine. Is this insecure? Which
log should I be checking for possible intruders?

Action for me... I was wondering if I understand this
correctly - I could replace ipmasq with firehol (which
is 'stateful'?)? Are they interchangable? Do they do
the same thing? Are they both called 'firewalls' of
sorts?

Or should I just leave well alone and keep a watchful
eye somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

--
Matt