Re: Debian GnuCash packages orphaned

John Hasler wrote:

John Summerfield writes:
Oh, it bothers me a bit that gnucash is written in C.

A witches brew of C and Scheme, actually.

C isn't designed to handle money. Or text.

I have no objection to the C, but I'm a bit put off by the astonishing
number of Gnome libraries.
:-)
I guess if you're using Gnome anyway you don't care.

As for the money, I learned to write financial applications in COBOL. Whoops, it's extremely rusty.
mony PIC S9(11v3) COMP-3.
and in PL/1
money fixed dec(11,3).

From these the compiler knows that we are using fixed-point decimal numbers, and it knows where the decimal point is.
In C one can choose between
a) int (and run out of range) (and the problems of c)
b) float and get implementation and manybe platform dependent rounding errors.
c) longint and have to scale it yourself.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait