Re: Debian GnuCash packages orphaned

On Sun 8 August 2004 03:24, William Ballard wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:08:29AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> > Debian packages:  SQL-ledger and KMyMoney2.  Anyone have experience
> > or comments on the these packages as replacements for GnuCash?
>
> GnuCash is the best of the lot, but that isn't saying very much.

I don't find GnuCash terribly usable for personal finances. The
double-entry bookeeping that GnuCash uses doesn't work very well with
personal finances. In the main window you end up with expense and
income accounts piling up in a rather meaningless way. I took a few
business accounting courses in university and I really don't think that
double entry is appropriate for personal finance since categories of
expense/consumption become accounts with cash flowing in, which makes
absolutely no sense in the context of personal finance. GnuCash may
well be useful for businesses (I wouldn't know) but for personal
finance it's just plain annoying since the goal of each is different.

For personal finance I use KMyMoney2, since conceptually it's far more
like Quicken on Windows (and probably MS Money as well).

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

Noone isn't no one