Re: Debian GnuCash packages orphaned

David P James wrote:

On Sun 8 August 2004 03:24, William Ballard wrote:
On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:08:29AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
Debian packages:  SQL-ledger and KMyMoney2.  Anyone have experience
or comments on the these packages as replacements for GnuCash?
GnuCash is the best of the lot, but that isn't saying very much.

I don't find GnuCash terribly usable for personal finances. The double-entry bookeeping that GnuCash uses doesn't work very well with personal finances. In the main window you end up with expense and income accounts piling up in a rather meaningless way. I took a few business accounting courses in university and I really don't think that double entry is appropriate for personal finance since categories of expense/consumption become accounts with cash flowing in, which makes absolutely no sense in the context of personal finance. GnuCash may well be useful for businesses (

Without stock control?

Consider your local peecee shop.
It sells a peecee. Can it debit stock
1 K8V
1 Opteron
512 Mb SDRAM
One SuperCase
One 48W p/s
2 cooling fans
2xSATA 250 Gb WD drives
etc

I'm sure it will work for some businesses, but I suspect not for many.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait