Re: How popular is Debian (popularity contest)

Paul Johnson wrote:

John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> writes:

George Roman wrote:

" right" is a relative word. debian is the right choice for me, if others
(people who use other dist) prefer to reinstall their systems with each
new release it is their business.
Which distros need to be reinstalled for each new release?

Anything involving RPM, unless you *like* spending months fighting
dependency hell...
In my experiense that is nonsense.

I used RHL from 3.0.3, and the only time I didn't upgrade when maybe I should have wa when I'd coerced some RHL 6.2 packages onto what was RHL 5.0. That time I just didk't think it was worth the risk.

I now there were lots of people who reinstalled: however, over all those years I never found it necessary except for that one tiime I'd chosen to bork the system. Even so, it would probably have coped.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait