Re: sound problem

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 09:37, Michael Sherman wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've recently installed Sarge with the new installer,
> I am using the 2.6.3-1-386 kernel, I selected linux26
> during installation.
> I have a CMI8738 sound chip on board and the OS seems
> to be able to see it - I checked the dmesg, and that
> what it says "cmpci: found CM8738 adapter at io 0xe400
> irq 5 ", however I don't get any sound, neither when
> KDE boots nor I can play CDs. I added myself to the
> audio group, so that is not the problem.
> Any tips?

you are probably using alsa as a driver.

check /proc/asound for a card.

also the default for alsa is to mute things.

either run "alsamixer", you may need to be
root but i am guessing that since you are
in the audio group that would suffice.
or you can grab the gnome-alsamixer package
for a nice gui, and unmute things like
the "master", "pcm", "cdrom" channels.

-matt