Re: How popular is Debian (popularity contest)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Summerfield" <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: How popular is Debian (popularity contest)

> George Roman wrote:
>
> >" right" is a relative word. debian is the right choice for me, if others
> >(people who use other dist) prefer to reinstall their systems with each
> >new release it is their business.
> >

> Which distros need to be reinstalled for each new release?

Fedora recommended a new install when going from FC1 to FC2, and the mail
list complaints afterwards were huge.  It was strongly advised to -not- try
to upgrade using yum or rpm.  I tried the middle ground - Got the full
distro on DVD and let the anaconda installer do the upgrade.  My stuff still
needed more fixing than I knew how to do.  I've unsubscribed from that mail
list now, so I don't know the current state of the art.  Maybe FC3 will be
better, but I don't see how one could beat the way Debian works with
apt-get.

Enter Debian - Even though I'm a relative newbie to both Linux and Debian, I
have been VERY happily using Debian unstable for several months now.  Using
"mainstream stuff" like Apache, SpamAssassin, Mailman, SquirrelMail, ClamAV
etc.  I might try Sarge when it makes stable, but right now, I have no
reason to switch.
- John