Re: How Do I Get the Java Plugin To Work with Firefox and Mozilla?

Scarletdown wrote:
 Anthony Campbell wrote:

On 03 Aug 2004, Kent West wrote:

Alejandro Matos wrote:

I've installed Java and made a symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins to where javaplugin.so is located

Which folder? i think there is 2 folders inside "plugins"... Saludos Alejandro

Also, what are the permissions on the Java folder/file? Also, where'd you get Java? how'd you install it?

I installed via apt-get install j2re1.4

Last I knew, Java wasn't free enough to be in the official Debian repositories, which indicates you have a non-official source in your apt sources.list file.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing; but it indicates another piece of info you might want to provide; what's the source of your Java?

And I just now uninstalled it and installed the latest version downloaded from Sun, installing it to /usr/share/java/.

Have a look at http://mozilla.weebeastie.net/java.shtml Very useful site which explains things clearl. Note that, for firefox (not sure about mozilla) the link needs to go in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so. For the current version of firefox you need to link to the ns610-gcc32 version.

I created the link in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/ via
ln -s /usr/share/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/javaplugin_oji.so
It still doesn't work.  And here is what I get with about:plugins

<snip>

No sign of the Java plugin at all.

Here's what I do. I download the appropriate bin from blackdown.org (although Sun should work fine also).

I then run the file in my home directory as a normal user.

I then move the entire newly created j2sdk1.4.2 directory to /usr/local.

I then change the permissions on the folder:
drwxr-xr-x  8 root  staff  4096 2003-12-17 00:13 j2sdk1.4.2

I do this in two stages; I chown the directory, recursively, to give every file root.staff ownership; I then chmod only the directory to the above perms.

I then do the symlink:

westk[@westkent.acu.edu]:/home/westk:> ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 66 2004-03-01 11:10 /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so

hth

--
Kent

--