How Do I Get the Java Plugin To Work with Firefox and Mozilla?

I've installed Java and made a symlink in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins to where javaplugin.so is located, but whenever I try to access a dite that uses Java (such as the EZ-Board chat feature), I get "This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-vm) that can only be viewed with the appropriate plugin.

So even though I have the plugin installed, it doesn't seem to work with Mozilla or Firefox. However, it works fine with Konqueror. What else do I need to do to get Moz to work with Java?