Re: debian-installer: partman, limited; base-install failed, grave error?

Leif W wrote:
> Initially I tried expert mode, as I'm an experienced user.  I've been
> successfully installing various flavors of Linux since 1997, and Debian since
> 2001.  :-)

But apparently, you have never seen or paid attention to the standard
output of debootstrap before:

> Anyways, there are also several error messages about package dependency
> failures, packages failing to install because a required package has not been
> installed.  The very first error I see is dpkg install of base-passwd, which
> complains that libc6 is not installed.  Yet the dependencies are ignored.  I
> am not sure if this is normal just to get things going, or how to determine
> the first error which I should worry about.  In this example, libc6 seems to
> be installed later on (according to messages), so probably nothing to worry
> about.

Anyone who has ever run debootstrap or watched console 3 in any debian
install in the past 3 years should be familiar with the various
contortions debootstrap goes through to bootstrap a system, which
generates the above messages. Indeed anyone who has ever dist-upgraded a
debian system should be familiar with apt-get doing similar things in
certian cases.

> I am not sure what to look for in the syslog or messages files. Near the
> beginning of the install, I skip the "load drivers from disk", as there are no
> esoteric devices in this machine, and ide-related modules are reported as
> "missing" (ide-mod, ide-probemod, ide-detect, ide-generic, ide-floppy,
> ide-disk, ide-cd, isofs).

The complete message you were shown included this text:

 Linux kernel modules needed to drive some of your hardware are not
 available yet. Simply proceeding with the install may make these
 modules available later.

This informational message is only shown in expert mode, and we expect
"experts" to have a modicum of reading comprehension capability.

>  libgnutls11

This would appear to be the problem. It's a pity that in all your other
volimumous information, ranting, and insults you left out the actual
error message from earlier in the log that would tell us what the
problem really is, and did not provide enough information to let anyone
reproduce your problem. You didn't tell us what version of Debian you
were installing, what mirror you used to install from, or what version
of the installer you used. Indeed you didn't even file a proper
installation report in the standard format as explained on our web site,
or send your report to the right place, so it's only happenstance that
anyone who can help you saw your problem at all.

At a guess this was caused by breakage in debootstrap 0.2.41, which
would only affect those installing unstable instead of testing, and
which should be fixed today.

--
see shy jo