Re: Source ISOs

Sven Hoexter wrote:

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:10:06PM +0200, Lucio Crusca wrote:
Hello everybody.

I'm a Debian CD vendor and a customer asked me the source distribution (woody). However I and my customer both don't know how one can install those CDs, and I'd like to know what exactly a source distribution is before selling one.
Source CDs contain the source packages of the binary packages distributed on

Where exactly are they?

the binary CDs. In short it's the source code of the software. I advice you
to read through the GPL and other licences cause some force you to distribute
the source code along with the binary stuff. Ah and talking about the GPL

I'm not sure that's quite true.The GPL for one, requires you to provide source _on request._ I don't think it requires anyone to provide source to someone they did not provide binaries though,

afaik you've to archiv the source code for the stuff you distribute in binary
for 5 years.

I'm not sure that's true either, though I if it is I'd appreciate the pointer. I think it's acceptable to give the client the choice at the time of purchase of the original binaries.

There are reasons which may be beyond one's control that one cannot offer the source code at some time on the future.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait