Re: [OT] Hard Drive shutdown

David <dbree@duo-county.com> said on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:36:34 -0500:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:37:08PM +0100, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
>
> > I've had something very similar to this before.  My HDD is
> > ``S.M.A.R.T.'' and it never warned me of immanent destruction so I was
> > very concerned.  I asked around and was told ``before you go out and bu
> > a new disk, try wiggling the IDE cable around''.  Of course I took this
> > with a pinch of salt but I did try it -- and it worked!
> >
> > As hard to believe as it is, something along the lines of ``chip-creep''
> > appears to have happened to my IDE cable.  Not two weeks after this,
> > someone else I knew had the same problem on their box!
> >
> > So, give it a go -- it might help.
>
> Hadn't thought to check that out.  Will do it.  However, it seems odd
> that it would lose connection and then regain it again.  I never so much
> as touched the case and it picked right back up.

Could have cooled.

Mine did it in particular when I wobbled the IDE cable - I thought it
was a bad cable at the time, but all my cables seemed equally bad.

I eventually discovered the bottom of the HD was almost touching the
metal case. If I turned off the computer for any length of time,
things would cool, and shrink, and the HD would touch the case. If I
wobbled the connector, the bottom of the drive would touch the
case. It was particularly peculiar, in that as long as I held the
reset button down, one of my drives would power down, but the other
would stay up.

I put plastic between the case and the bottom of the drive and it all
works now.

It typically takes 25-30 gallons of petrol/diesel to fully-consume an
average-sized body under ideal conditions.  That I am conversant with
this level of detail should serve as an indication of why the wise man
does not ask me questions about MS-Windows. --Tanuki on ASR