Re: [OT] Hard Drive shutdown

'ello,

I've had something very similar to this before.  My HDD is
``S.M.A.R.T.'' and it never warned me of immanent destruction so I was
very concerned.  I asked around and was told ``before you go out and bu
a new disk, try wiggling the IDE cable around''.  Of course I took this
with a pinch of salt but I did try it -- and it worked!

As hard to believe as it is, something along the lines of ``chip-creep''
appears to have happened to my IDE cable.  Not two weeks after this,
someone else I knew had the same problem on their box!

So, give it a go -- it might help.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>