Re: Howto make root commands available to any user

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Micha Feigin wrote:

> The reset will force a reset, thats true (I am not sure it even goes
> through the bios).

its sometimes connected to the nmi on the cpu  and/or the power switch
is connected to it or both .. just depends

every low level thingie goes thru the bios if there is no linux device
driver for it

> > 	- hitting the power switch ... will power off the box immediately
> > 	or delay 5 seconds before power off .. more bios code ..
> >

> Thats mostly false for most machines (at least intels) still alive today

..

> Pressing the button for at least 4-5 seconds will usually force a hard
> shutdown.

i'd bet that the holding the bios or the do it immediately is in the bios
	- once you hit the on-off switch ... it will either shutdown
	now or in 4-5 seconds if you hold it .... or nothing will happen
	cause the bios didnt think you did what it wanted

all the apm/acpi is way up in the userland sw ... not down at the
itty bitty hw level of wires and bios

c ya
alvin