Re: Howto make root commands available to any user
Alvin Oga wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, csj wrote:
- 3-finger salute should always work from any console for anybody
- anybody that hits the power or reset switch should be shot on the spot
But as another poster said the buttons could be remapped to
initiate a graceful shutdown.
3-finger salute is already a graceful shutdown ( init 6 )
Mostly it's a reboot _iff_ you're not running X on the active console.
power and reset switches can only be connected or not
- hitting the reset can do nothing or will take the machine
into its reset code in the bios ...
- hitting the power switch ... will power off the box immediately
or delay 5 seconds before power off .. more bios code ..
Conditionally wrong. Machines I install now do a graceful shutdown.
- you can't "remap" the bios code to something else ...
and if you did, its not "user friendly" since its not standard
for everybody on every pc
( all machines should behave the same way to prevent confusion )
If you run a box with just two cables - power and network - then the
power button is a sensible tool for shutting it down.
Tourist pics http://portgeographe.environmentaldisasters.cds.merseine.nu/