From: matt zagrabelny [mailto:mzagrabe@d.umn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 5:34 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Ethernet card not working after a clean kernel 2.4installation of Debian 3.0

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 08:41, NabilM@kuveytturk.com.tr wrote:
> Dear Fellows,
>

> When I install Debian with kernel 2.2, the Ethernet card works fine.
> But when I install Debian with kernel 2.4, I donÿt see any sign of lo
> or eth0 any where. I am new to Linux, and Debian in particular. Please
> advice. From the top of my head, I think that the kernel module for my
> Ethernet card is not loaded. If so, do I need to recompile the kernel
> with the appropriate modules or can I have a loadable module. If so,
> how do I know what is the right module? And how can I install a
> loadable module? Thanks.

commands you'll use:

lsmod      (list loaded modules)
modprobe <module name>      (load module)

to find out information about your cards (at least for a pci bus) do:
lspci -vv | less -S

and look for your ethernet controller. then go to the directory
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers
(the "uname -r" part is the name of the running kernel)
and poke around until you find the corresponding module.
it will be something like tulip.o so to load run "modprobe tulip"

if it is not there, you'll have to compile the driver as a module or
into the kernel which we can help you with if you get to that point.

-matt