Re: Any chance of Debian adding YaST

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

On 2004-07-29, John Summerfield penned:
Somehow I thought the Red Hat tools were working spectacularly well in
Knoppix which most see as a debian derivitive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Knoppix supports nearly the
number of architectures that Debian does.

It doesn't. But
a) RHL supports IA32, IA64, AMD-64, IBM iSeries, pSeries and zSeries,and YDL is basically RHL ported to Powemacs. b) The other (unsupported) platforms don't have anything like the array of third-party hardware found on PC-type platforms. c) It also used to support Alphas and Sparcs. I'm running RHL 6.2 on a lunchbox. Well, I installed it:-)

The hardware detection in RHL is done by Kudzu

It's not debian-complete by any means, but those architectures not covered by Kudzu must surely be easier than those already done.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait