Re: Any chance of Debian adding YaST

On 2004-07-28, Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> wrote:

> --uXeYlJRvy4f2YhXS
>
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:44:49AM -0500, Scott Thompson wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there are any official or third party plans to develo=
> p a
>> version for Debian. =20
>
> Please see
><http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3D238969>
> and the discussion starting at
><http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/03/msg01387.html>
> for details.

Only if it's removed from SuSE at the same time -- that way I could switch
from Debian to SuSE. :)

YaST is horrible because if you use it to configure something, it mangles
the config files beyond recognition for humans, and you can never use
anything else -- and even if you do, YaST will screw up your modifications
next time you run it.

Even more seriously for Debian, I doubt YaST would currently work very
well on all the supported architectures. :)

--
Juha Siltala
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/